If you wish for your smile to be at its peak condition, it is important to always make sure that you have put into place an oral health care plan to ensure the buildup of plaque and harmful debris in your mouth is not possible. To help keep your mouth clean, consider the benefits that chewing sugarless gum can provide, such as the following:
– Sugarless chewing gum has been proven to help promote saliva flow, which can help neutralize and wash away any harmful food debris or acids and provide disease-fighting substances to your mouth.
– Chewing gum will not be abrasive to your teeth as other cleaning products can actually be.
– Frequently, it is unsafe to brush your teeth after eating due to the prevalence of tooth sensitivity and the likely abrasiveness from your toothpaste. Instead, try chewing sugarless gum.
– Sugarless gum does not itself help endorse cavity prevention, but rather the act of chewing the gum, as it can heavily influence the production of saliva.
– Sugarless chewing gum is a better selection than regular gum because traditional chewing gum contains sugars which, due to the presence of sugar, can nullify and diminish any benefits that can be had.
– Chewing gum should be included as a supplement to your oral health care, not as a substitute.
– Many studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum after meals for a period of 20 minutes or longer has been shown to help prevent cavities.
No matter which decision for your smile’s care you choose, Dr. J. Scott Thompson, DMD and our team at Scott Thompson, DMD will make sure that you receive the care and support your smile requires. If you would like to come stop by our dentist office in Essex Junction, Vermont, please schedule an appointment at 802-879-7811.